Saturday, October 30, 2010

Mythic Clues Within My Life

Have you heard of something called the Oedipus complex? Here's the story:
There was this guy named Oedipus who, at birth, was destined by fate to kill his father (who also happened to be the King of Thebes) and marry his mother. The people in Thebes thought that this was a pretty big deal, so when Oedipus was an infant, he was sent away. As an adult, Oedipus returns to Thebes only to, you guessed it, kill his dad and marry his mom. For Freud over the next few years, as witnessed by the following remarks from The Interpretation of Dreams : "It is as though—to put it bluntly—a sexual preference were making itself felt at an early age: as though boys regarded their fathers and girls their mothers as rivals in love, whose elimination could not fail to be to their advantage" (Freud, 1900a, p. 256), and "it is the fate of all of us, perhaps, to direct our first sexual impulse towards our mother and our first hatred and our first murderous wish against our father. Our dreams convince us that this is so. King Oedipus, who slew his father Laïus and married his mother Jocasta, merely shows us the fulfillment of our own childhood wishes" (p. 262).
Pandora's Box - Pandora was the first woman and had good relationship with the gods. The told her not to open the box, but she did anyways. This in return caused, pain, war, illness and all other evils, the only thing left inside the box was hope. Moral of this story is even when you have good intentions, it doesn't always pan out to be something good, can bring something negative. An example of this situation is when I was younger, I wanted to do my dad a favor by washing his truck real good for him. While he was at work I got a bucket, some cold hose water and some bleach. I proceeded to go ahead and scrub down his truck, all of it. He had one of those trucks that had a bed with the hard plastic ripples in it, to keep it from getting rusty and so it was easy to clean. When I was just finishing up, he called and told me that he was on his way. I ended up going inside the house and waiting for him to get home. When he got there, he asked me what happened to his truck. I told him that I cleaned it for him, because it was really dirty. He asked me what I used to clean it with. I simply told him, "Bleach." He freaked out and demanded I rinse it off right away. I did as he asked me to do, but his truck was never the same again. I no longer wash vehicles with bleach, I take them through the car wash. This has been one of my Pandora's Box experiences.
Achilles' Heel - Achilles was born to a goddess mother, Thetis, and a human father, Peleus. Thetis did not like the fact that her son was part mortal, so she was told to dip him into the River Styx to cleanse him of his mortality and render him invincible. She did this, but held him by his heel as she dipped. His heel was left untouched by the water, so it remained the only part of him that was not invincible. Years later, when he was in battle in the Trojan War, Achilles' enemies took advantage of his weak spot and shot a poisonous arrow directly into his heel, and he died. Something that seems as real as this has happened to me. In this day and age a car, or transportation is pretty important. I don't mean a bicycle or just walking, because God gave us legs to walk, but like something that you can transport other people or belongings in. It just so happens that all of my life, since I was 12 I've had something to drive. In the last 6 weeks my car has decided to give me a multitude of problems. I put over $1800 into it, and it was good for about 2 days. I've had to rent a car for almost 3 weeks, which is not cheap. They wanted my blood and that of my firstborn for just a couple of days worth. Anyways ended up paying out the ass for rentals plus the retainer that they keep while you drive it. Plus right when they say ,"Oh, yeah, you get your deposit back (between $150-$300) when you return the car." That is such bullshit. At least this time it was for me. So we found out what was wrong with the car. It was a $3 part. We ordered it, it came in the day I had to bring the rental back, we installed the part, and my car still did not end up working. It sat in the driveway for about 2 more weeks until a neighbor got tired of looking at it and said that one of his mechanic friends would help us fix it. The timing had to be reset and something had to be done with the computer in it. We did not have the tools for that. The mechanic fixed the timing and then checked the motor and said that the valves were gone, and need a new motor. Now the problem is no money. I got laid off my job about 30 days ago and haven't seen a paycheck, so without money coming in, there is no way that I can fix my car. This puts me in a very vulnerable and a constant of "being without" circumstances. I rely completely on others right now to help me, and persay I do something to piss them off, they know that my weakness is that I don't have a ride. They could then just say that they wouldn't give me a ride, which would be cutting my Achilles Heel. It would cut me out of life.
 
Links used for information
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment